We have chosen our winner
We had hundreds of applications come in, but could only choose one winner to shop exclusively at local businesses for a week. Check out who the lucky shopper is and follow them on their local shopping spree.
The Importance of Buying Local
The past couple of years has made us live our lives differently. We've found new ways to eat, stream, work, and shop. Now more than ever, small businesses rely on our hard-earned money to stay afloat during an unprecedented time. As we continue to traverse this new normal, we want to do our part in helping small businesses continue to grow in person and online, and we need your help.
We're giving one lucky applicant $1,000 to shop locally for a week. Shopping small is excellent for the environment and the neighborhood, boosting economic growth for everyone in the community while sourcing materials locally, reducing gas emissions from transportation. Not only will we give you $1,000 to shop small, but we'll tack on an additional $1,000 to pocket for yourself (we'd recommend continuing to shop small).
Our Expectations for Your Shopping Experience
We're looking for someone excited about shopping small who wants to support local businesses not just for the challenge but for the right reasons. We want this experience to be life-changing for the applicant and the community they live in. All you have to do is tell us all about it.14 We expect you to eat from at least three local restaurants, shop in at least seven different stores, and get your groceries from local mom-and-pop shops. This is the most extensive small-business shopping experience out there.
What You’ll Get
- $1,000 on us to spend at local businesses, shops, restaurants, etc., for a whole week. No big box stores or online conglomerates. Just local spending for the community.
- After your challenge is complete, you'll get an additional $1,000 just for you to spend however you choose.
How To Apply
Before we send out the $1,000 for you to shop with, we'll need you to answer a few questions so we can get to know you a little bit better. Why do you shop locally? Do you own a small business yourself? Why do you want to shop small for a week? Fill out the application below and don't forget to submit a video telling us why we should pick you for this unique opportunity.
The “Shop Locally For A Week” application window is now closed.
Frequently Asked Questions
We'll send out an email confirmation, so you know that we know that you've applied! If you don’t see it, be sure to check your spam folder—it sometimes winds up there.
Outside of what's asked of you in this application form, you will not be able to submit or attach any additional information, including pictures, resumes, or funny GIFs. Sorry for the minor inconvenience.
We will let all applicants know by June 10th, 2022, whether they have been selected for the challenge via email. Be on the lookout for an email from Business.CenturyLink.com.
Easy, easy. Let's make sure you've done your part first:
- Leave no space unanswered—fill in all of the required fields.
- Ensure that you entered a valid US ZIP code as only US residents aged 18 and older can enter.
- Make sure you don't write more than 2,000 characters for the entire application, as that's the maximum character limit.
- Write at least 100 characters (approximately 12 words) on why you think it’s important to shop locally
- Please only enter numbers into the phone number field. Leave all dashes and parentheses at home. e.g., 8010001919 instead of (801) 000-1919
- Try refreshing your screen if the application form doesn't load. If you are on a mobile device, consider switching to a laptop or computer.
Are you still having issues? Contact email@example.com and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.
It looks like you flew right past it. No worries—click here to get back to the application.
We will be closing all applications on May 31st, 2022 at 11:59:59 PM MST. So time is probably running out.
We plan on announcing the winner on June 13th, barring any unforeseen issues. Hopefully, it's YOU we'll be talking about.
No. Business.CenturyLink.com is conducting this dream challenge. It is not sponsored, endorsed, or administered by any local businesses.
Oh, hey media. Love to have you here. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have.
Shop Locally For a Week Terms and Conditions
1. The promoter of the Shop Locally For a Week Dream Job (the “Dream Job”) contest is Clear Link Technologies, LLC d/b/a Business.CenturyLink.com (“Promoter”), whose principal office is located at 5202 West Douglas Corrigan Way, Salt Lake City, Utah 84116. Lumen Technologies Service Group, L.L.C. is neither a sponsor or endorser of the Dream Job.
2. Employees of Promoter, those involved in the production, development, implementation, or handling of the Dream Job contest, and any agents acting for the above providers, prize suppliers, or any other person associated with the Dream Job contest, and family members and persons living in the same household as any of the foregoing persons, are not eligible to enter.
3. The Dream Job contest is open only to legal residents of the 50 United States and District of Columbia, who on the date of entry are 18 years old or older, or have otherwise reached the age of majority under the state’s laws where they reside.
4. DREAM JOB VOID OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES AND WHERE OTHERWISE PROHIBITED BY LAW. All applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations apply.
5. There is NO ENTRY FEE AND NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO APPLY FOR THE DREAM JOB. Any purchase or consideration otherwise given by applicants will not improve one’s chances of being selected for the Dream Job.
6. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: By entering the Dream Job contest, all applicants agree to release and hold harmless Promoter (and any parent, subsidiary, or otherwise related entities of Promoter) from any and all liability resulting or arising from the Dream Job contest, to release all rights to bring any claim, action, or proceeding against them, and hereby acknowledge that they have neither made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation, or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to a prize. Promoter (and any parent, subsidiary, or otherwise related entity of Promoter) shall not be liable for any injury, damage, loss, expense, accident, delay, inconvenience, or irregularity that may be caused or contributed to by (1) any wrongful, negligent or unauthorized act or omission on the part of the prize supplier or any of its agents, servants, employees, representatives, or independent contractors, (2) any wrongful, negligent, or unauthorized act or omission on the part of any other person or entity not an employee of Promoter, or (3) by any other cause, condition or event whatsoever beyond the control of Promoter or its parents, subsidiaries, and affiliated companies. The failure of Promoter to comply with any provision of these Terms and Conditions due to an act of God, natural disaster, hurricane, war, fire, riot, earthquake, terrorism, act of public enemies, action of governmental authorities, or any other cause outside of the control of Promoter (excepting compliance with applicable codes and regulations) or other force majeure event will not be considered a breach of these Terms and Conditions. Applicants waive all right to and hold the Promoter harmless from any claim, liability, loss, injury, damage (including punitive, exemplary, incidental, and consequential damages), and expense (including attorneys’ fees) arising out of or in connection with their participation in this Dream Job contest or the acceptance, use, or misuse of the Dream Job. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. Promoter will not be responsible for: late, incomplete, or incorrect applications; an applicant’s failure to receive prize notices due to applicant’s spam, junk e-mail, or other security settings or for applicants’ provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information; technical, hardware, or software malfunctions, lost or unavailable network connections, or failed, incorrect, inaccurate, incomplete, garbled, or delayed electronic communications whether caused by the sender or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or used in this Dream Job contest; by any human error which may occur in the processing of the applications in this Dream Job contest; or any typographical, technological, or other error in the publishing of the offer, administration of the Dream Job contest, or announcement of the recipient of the Dream Job (“Recipient”).
7. In no event shall the Promoter’s aggregate liability arising out of or relating to this Dream Job contest, whether arising out of or related to breach of contract, tort (including negligence), or otherwise, exceed three (3) times the amounts to be paid to Recipient pursuant to the Dream Job.
8. The route to enter the Dream Job and details on how to apply are available at https://business.centurylink.com/news/get-paid-to-shop-local/. Individuals may apply for the Dream Job by filling out the application form found here. Each applicant may submit only one (1) application for the Dream Job. Any attempt to submit more than one application will void that applicant’s applications and that applicant may be disqualified.
9. Promoter will start accepting applications on February 7, 2022 at 12:00 am MST. The closing date for entry will be May 31, 2022 11:59 pm MST. After this date and time, no further applications for the Dream Job will be permitted. Promoter’s database tracking system is the official time-keeping device for the Dream Job contest.
10. Applicants will be evaluated without regard to mental or physical disability, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other protected federal, state/province or local status unrelated to the performance of the work involved.
11. Promoter shall select one (1) Recipient from the entire pool of eligible applicants. Recipient will be selected based on the quality of the application as judged by Promoter. Recipient must comply with all of these Terms and Conditions, and winning is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements.
12. Recipient will be notified by email, through their email submitted with their application, within 14 days of the closing date for the contest. Except where prohibited, each potential Recipient must complete and return to Promoter, within seven (7) days of being notified, an electronic Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability and Publicity Release (“Affidavit”) via postal mail or email to email@example.com or other email address designated by Promoter, or other digital transmission method acceptable to Promoter, in order to claim the Dream Job. If Recipient cannot be contacted, is not eligible, or does not claim the opportunity to participate in the Dream Job within seven (7) days of notification, Promoter reserves the right to withdraw the offer from Recipient and pick a replacement Recipient. Recipient may be required to show identification in order to receive the Dream Job.
13. INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR ACKNOWLEDGMENT: Recipient acknowledges that participation in the Dream Job will be as an independent contractor. No agency, partnership, joint venture, or employee-employer relationship is intended or created by acceptance of the Dream Job. Recipient has no authority to bind Promoter to contracts, or make any agreement or representations without Promoter’s written consent. Recipient shall not be eligible to participate in any vacation, group medical or life insurance, disability, profit sharing, or retirement benefits, or any other fringe benefits or benefit plans offered by Promoter to its employees. Promoter is not responsible for withholding or paying any income, payroll, Social Security, or other federal, state, or local taxes, making any insurance contributions, including unemployment or disability, or obtaining worker’s compensation insurance on Recipient’s behalf. Recipient acknowledges that the sums received pursuant to this Dream Job are subject to all applicable taxes. Recipient is solely responsible for all such taxes or contributions, including penalties and interest.
14. Dream Job consists of filling out a Google Doc that will ask them which businesses they shopped at and when during the week of the challenge. In the end, they will inform the Promoter of 3 things they've learned from the week and whether they will change their future shopping habits after completing the challenge.
15. This Dream Job is conducted by Promoter and is in no way endorsed, administered by, or associated with any third parties or third party products mentioned or their affiliates.
16. Upon completion of the Dream Job, Recipient will receive a one-time payment of $1,000. Promoter shall distribute funds no later than ninety (90) days following Recipient's completion of the Dream Job requirements.
17. No cash alternative to the Dream Job will be offered. Recipient’s opportunity to participate in the Dream Job is not transferable.
19. Where legally required, Recipient’s name will be available upon request twenty-eight (28) days after the closing date for the contest, but no later than one (1) year after the closing date for the contest. To request Recipient’s name, please send the request in a stamped addressed envelope to the following address:
Clear Link Technologies, L.L.C. d/b/a Business.CenturyLink.com 5202 W Douglas Corrigan Way, Salt Lake City, UT 84116.
20. Promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend the Dream Job and these Terms and Conditions without notice.
21. Promoter’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the Dream Job will be final.
22. The Dream Job and these Terms and Conditions will be governed by Utah law.
23. By submitting an application for the Dream Job, applicants unconditionally accept and agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions and all discretionary decisions of Promoter, which are final and binding in all respects. Should an applicant win the Dream Job, they must be available at the email address in the enrollment to receive their win notification and instructions on how to claim their dream Job. Promoter is not responsible for changes to applicants’ email addresses.
24. Promoter reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, modify, or suspend the Dream Job contest and Dream Job should viruses, bugs, unauthorized human intervention, technical failures, or any factor beyond Promoter’s reasonable control corrupt the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper operation of the Dream Job contest. In such event, Promoter reserves the right to award the Dream Job from among the eligible entries received up to the time of impairment. Promoter reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the contest or to be acting in violation of these Terms and Conditions or any other promotion or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to deliberately damage Promoter’s website or undermine the legitimate operation of this Dream Job contest may be a violation of criminal and civil laws, and should such an attempt be made, Promoter reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Promoter’s failure to enforce any term of these Terms and Conditions shall not constitute a waiver of any right or remedy.
25. Applicants agree that: (1) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Dream Job contest and any Dream Job shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by JAMS for final and binding arbitration under its Streamlined Arbitration Rules & Procedures, to be held in Salt Lake City, Utah, before a single arbitrator, who shall be a retired judge. The arbitration shall be a confidential proceeding, closed to the general public. The arbitrator shall issue a written opinion stating the essential findings and conclusions upon which the arbitrator’s award is based. The parties will share equally in payment of the arbitrator’s fees and arbitration expenses and any other costs unique to the arbitration hearing (recognizing that each side bears its own deposition, witness, expert and attorneys’ fees and other expenses to the same extent as if the matter were being heard in court). Neither party shall be entitled or permitted to commence or maintain any action in a court of law with respect to any matter in dispute until such matter shall have been submitted to arbitration as herein provided and then only for the enforcement of the arbitrator’s award. Nothing in this paragraph shall affect either party’s ability to seek from a court injunctive or equitable relief at any time; (2) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Dream Job contest, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (3) under no circumstances will any applicant be permitted to obtain awards for, and applicants hereby waive, all rights to claim, punitive, incidental, and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
26. Promoter and its parents, subsidiaries and affiliated companies, assume no liability and are not responsible for, and participants hereby forever waive any rights to any claim in connection with, errors and/or ambiguity: (a) in the Dream Job contest; (b) in any related advertising or promotions of the Dream Job contest; and/or (c) in these Terms and Conditions. In the event of any ambiguity(s) or error(s) in these Terms and Conditions, Promoter reserves the right to modify these Terms and Conditions for clarification purposes or to correct any such error(s) without materially affecting the terms and conditions of the Dream Job contest.
This Dream Job contest is administered by Business.CenturyLink.com and is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or endorsed by any of the parties mentioned above.